Friday, January 8, 2010

A New Paradise Found - Pahia, Bay of Islands, NZ


In the last two days we've had a crash course in the incredible beauty of New Zealand. Firstly a walk in the countryside, followed by a cruise around the islands.

We are staying in Pahia, in the Bay of Islands, and yesterday set out for a walk along the Waitangi river to the Haruru falls. As we set out, we saw a sign explaining that the Kiwi is a bird that lived for a 1,000 years here without predators. They have no defence mechanisms or tools to fight when attacked and as such are easy to be eaten or killed by dogs - "so keep dogs on a lead". It seems to me incredibly appropriate that the symbol of New Zealand is so incredibly peaceful and unspoiled, like the people and the countryside.

We walked in the forest, surrounded by familiar and new sounds - for me, cicadas grating away is the sound of holiday (usually heard in Greece), and this was added to by the "popping" of the crickets. They use their wings to make 2-3 pops at a time in a rhythm and it was almost like being surrounded by lots of mini fireworks.

After a while, we came to a Mangrove swamp. Nicki and I have known the word "Mangrove" most of our lives but admitted to each other we had absolutely no idea what it meant. The trees have little mini-mango-like fruits and they grow in streams of water that are tidal. The roots take hold at low tide and grow under the water, also giving a base for various other plants.

Gradually, the path became even more tropical and an amazing number of varied trees and plants came into view. It really gave the feeling of being in a tropical area, even though the climate is in theory very similar to England. Certainly the palm-like trees give the flavour of the tropics.

I enjoyed walking through to the unspectacular waterfalls, just a few metres high. I have followed Nicki through walks in Maine, to Macchu Picchu, up a volcano on Easter Island and now in New Zealand. She always leads and I follow, taking up the position I always took when I went cycling with my brother as a kid.

After a while of talking about the scenery, we both fall into a period of quiet contemplation. My head fills with ideas and plans for my new company. My book is evolving nicely as I am working on a piece every 2 days, but I got the very good advice that I need a range of products. So I am working on a brand which could apply to a series of Travel Books, and maybe lots of other things too. The walk in the natural noise and beauty of the forest and mangroves became the ideal place to come up with some new ideas. Who knows, maybe I will look back on this walk as the place where my future working life was formed?

We regularly come across people who have moved here from England, and clearly it's a major subject. Strangely, many New Zealanders go for long travels or live in UK for long periods of time. But almost always they come back. A friend of Nicki's is from New Zealand and she asked him if he will ever go back. His answer was "wait until you see it and you'll know the answer to that question..." Looking back on it, I have met a lot of Aussies and Kiwis living in other countries, but without exception, they were in their 20's or 30's.

The wish to see the world is strong but the lure of their own beautiful country is stronger. We are beginning to learn why.