Tuesday, March 23, 2010

From Canon to Canberra to The Essence

As of March 24th, this blog has come to an end.

Please go to my new blog called "David Beckett and The Essence" at www.david-beckett.blogspot.com

If you would like to have a bound book of the blog entries from my world trip, please email me at david.beckett@TheEssenceOnline.com.

When I started this site in November 2008, I chose the address “Canon To Canberra”.
This was because I wanted to take the opportunity - presented by the move of my job to London - of doing something completely different. I quickly decided I would go to Australia, a plan which over the last 5 months turned into an amazing Round-The-World trip.

This blog's journey is now complete. A new blog has been set up to catalogue the beginning of my new venture, a start-up publishing company called DJB Pubs. On 10th October 2010 (10.10.10), the first book will be launched, called “Amsterdam... The Essence.”

While travelling, Internet was hard to come by. In South Amearica, it was hard to get a fast connection, while in Tahiti, Australia and New Zealand, the cost was incredible (anything from 1 -12 Euros per hour!). This pushed me to write and post the blog pieces very quickly, with little editing. Some of the postings are probably quite rough, but that is the nature of a blog, isn't it? I think of it like a live concert, a single go at getting the best bits down but there will certainly be a few glitches along the way.

So now it's time to move on to the next stage and my new publishing company is DJB Pubs BV. The first book will be titled “Amsterdam... The Essence” and will be the first in a series of travel books under the brand “The Essence”. It's a development of my early plans to write a novel about Amsterdam, and I will explain more about this in the new blog.

The unique part about “Amsterdam... The Essence” is that YOU can be part of the development of the book. You will have the opportunity to give your opinion on many things along the way – Do you like the design of the book? Is there content you would like to see? Would you suggest something special, based on what you know about Amsterdam? Would you be willing to be interviewed and have your opinions published on my website? Do you have a great photograph you would like to offer for inclusion in the book or for the website?

All of this and much more will become apparent as “The Essence” brand builds up. A website, www.TheEssenceOnline.com, will be launched on April 19th.

In the meantime, you can follow The Essence on my new blog, www.david-beckett.blogspot.com. You can also become a Fan of the Facebook page, The Essence.

Thanks so much for reading this blog, and please do put my new one in your favourites.