Saturday, August 15, 2009

New Beginnings


Time for a new start.

Over 3 months have passed since I finished working at Canon. It has been a time of reflection and re-adjustment. That period is coming to an end and it's time to move on. I shared my 3-part plan with everybody, and this is where it stands.

Part two of the plan - travelling - is fixed, but with a very happy twist. A week ago, Nicki and I worked out a schedule to travel around the world from 26th October until 14th March. That schedule is a dream - USA, Peru, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia, with Christmas on Easter Island and New Year in Tahiti, plus a final week in Thailand.

It's a new and absolutely joyous feeling for me to plan, prepare and experience these things together. Meeting Nicki has changed my life. Doing this with her has given a completely different life and meaning to the trip.

Part One of the plan is on hold. In the last two months, my need to fulfil the dream of writing a book has simply evaporated. I will try to explain why in another posting. All I know is that it has gone - maybe temporarily, maybe forever, I just don't know. My interest in writing will continue, however - I will focus on this blog, and take some creative writing courses in the coming 2 months. But the goal of a book as an outcome is no longer important to me.

The positive part of the research I have done is that I learned more about Amsterdam in a month than I did in 11 years. What a great and fascinating city it is!

Part Three - setting up a coaching company - is a theoretical Go. However, where, what type of coaching and what the main focus will be remains to be decided. That's because I can see the future pretty clearly as far as 14th March 2010, and no further. I love living in Amsterdam and I love my home here. But there has been something missing in my life, and now I have found it again, after many, many years. If that results in leaving Amsterdam, so be it.

But this is jumping ahead, because that page of my story is not yet written, and will be written by the experiences of travel together. By the time March comes around, it will be crystal clear what to do.

I have always said from day one of the plan being formed that "you can't steer a ship that isn't moving". To get to the next stage, I needed to make a plan and go for it. I knew that plan may change, but without a purpose and set of goals, I also knew that I would get nowhere. The fact that I am not following those plans strictly is no concern for me. Having the plans in the first place took me to moment in my life of being open to change my solitary ways and allow new things to come in.

It's a unique opportunity to take this time to travel with a great person and see and learn all there is to on such a trip. I can honestly say that my job ending at Canon, resulting in such changes of focus, was the best thing that has happened in my life for many years.