Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Just One Happy Thought & You'll Fly" Laser 3.14

Many years ago, my first boss at Canon told me "a good idea doesn't care where it comes from." Increasingly around Amsterdam, I started to receive good ideas via graffiti by a guy who calls himself "Laser 3.14".

The style is always the same - he signs his name, and writes a message of few words which always leave you thinking as you leave the site of his art. He places his messages on boards covering construction sites, which adds something to the impact for sure. It is almost as if his words are part of the re-construction.

It's a strange feeling to be wandering through the city, not really thinking about much, and then be faced with a line like "We go down by waves of regret". Or A simple message such as "Sometimes it helps to dream".

I have a book by Richard Bach called Illusions, which has the sub-title of "The Messiah's handbook." One of the concepts of the book is that you can open it up and get what you need at any given time. I can remember many years ago opening it up and finding the phrase "Argue for your limitations and sure enough they are yours".

It was a time when I was feeling very cynical and letting myself be dragged down by a lot of negative thoughts. Just this phrase was enough to make me think seriously about what limits I was imposing on myself with my attitude. It was a mini-turning point.

A similar effect came from another of Laser 3.14's graffiti. 4 months ago, I was having a few nerves about my plans to take time and use it to do some things I have always wanted to do. Suddenly as I started to come closer to the end of the comfort of the structure that Canon life gave me for so many years, I saw a message in the street which made me stop, look and think for quite some minutes.

The message made me think that I had been given a gift of time, and if I didn't use it, then no meaning to get the gift. I share that message with you here.