Thursday, April 16, 2009

Countdown to the Future


After the excitement of America and landing in Schiphol from Houston, I came straight to the office from the airport. I felt anxious to get in and tell my friends and colleagues more details about the trip, and to hear about their Easter.

And as I sat in the taxi, I realised that this is something which I will have to get used to changing. That solid and sure community to share all the highs and lows with will gradually ebb away.

This is the point. This is the kind of moment, with just a few working days to go, when change becomes real. One task of dealing with this change is to find a new way of interacting with people, with different people. The familiar environment which surrounds me like a warm bath is not going to be there.

While it made me nervous to think of it, it also made my pulse quicken. I want to face up to those changes and I am ready - after all, I've known for months they are coming! Being given more time would not make more ready. It is time to get on and move to the next phase.

So now I have 10 working days left with Canon, 25 working years to go (with who knows what companies or business?) and this unique opportunity to live my dreams for a year or so inbetween. The countdown to the future is on.

People ask whether it feels strange, and in one way it does. It simply doesn't feel like 16 years since I entered the office of Canon Audio for the first morning, or 11 years since I walked through the door of Canon Europa to start my first day. It's almost surreal to say out loud "I have worked for Canon for 16 years". People like me don't work for one company for 16 years!

One of my favourite semi-cliche's is "You can't steer a boat that isn't moving". Whenever somebody asks me what I am going to do, I explain my clear plan - Write a Book, Travel, start my own Business Coaching company. The feeling of having a clear direction is a re-assuring one and gives movement - it doesn't mean everything I plan will happen exactly as I want it to happen, but the direction and movement give me the chance to steer my way as I go.

Another way of putting this is the postcard my Dad had on his desk for many years, which is the picture on this posting. "Get moving, take action, work it out along the way, enjoy your victories wherever they may be" seems to be the message.

For now, I keep in mind that the warm feeling of being with nice colleagues in a safe and supportive environment is somethng not to be taken for granted. I take in every minute of it.