Monday, December 8, 2008

Life Poem

I was sent this poem by a good friend. I hope they don't mind me passing this on. I really needed this today, because it started finally to hit me what I am going to miss about the people I know in my company if the proposal for the re-location goes ahead.

The word 'company' doesn't feel good these days.

I prefer to use the word "community", even though some people may find it out of place. I am genuinely inspired by the quality of people in the community that is my company.

My hero Tom Robinson once said "the word Community is a political statement. Politicians use it as in 'we should all be the same.' But being in a Community is not that we all have to be the same. We just have to accept the difference."

And I live by that. I try to accept the difference every day, enjoy the difference - in a company where we are full of difference - in a community of 50 nationalities. That is why I left England and came to this great place.

I came here because of diversity, difference of opinion, difference of culture, difference of perspective. I didn't come here to be the same as everybody else.

Please enjoy the poem.

Rumi - Guest House
This being human is a guest house,
every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond